Visible scars, whether caused due to an injury, surgery, accident, infections, acne, or a burn, lead to an unsightly appearance and people usually wish to get rid of them. Some facial scars can also result in impaired functioning of the muscles around the nose, mouth, or eyes. While most of the scars can become less obvious with age, they still are permanent. Dr. Rajdeep Mysore, Dermatologist in Bangalore at Charma Clinic, provides the best scar treatments for all types of scars by offering the best cosmetic dermatological treatment that makes the skin look smooth and scar-free. Our team of plastic surgeons and dermatosurgeons will use the latest surgical techniques and lasers to achieve the best possible outcomes.
A scar develops in response to the body's natural healing process as the damaged or lost skin with new skin. It usually is made up of fibrous tissues and can appear on any body part in different forms like sunken, flat, colored, or lumpy. Some scars can be painful or itchy. The extent of scarring depends upon the person's age, nutritional status, skin type and color characteristics, and the depth, size, and location of the wound.
A scar revision procedure in Bangalore performed at Charma Clinic can help reduce or alter the appearance of the scar restoring the normal functioning of the body part that has been restricted due to scarring. It can help improve an itchy scar too. It is also carried out for improving aesthetic looks and corrects the disfigurements or changes in the skin caused by a wound, poor healing, an injury, or previous surgery.
Scars are complex, and it is important to get treatment from an expert. Scars of varied types require different treatments and proper care for the best outcomes.
Types of Scars
Various types of scarring can affect the appearance and skin health
1. Acne scars: These are an outcome of acne breakouts that lie deep within the skin and cause damage to the underlying skin tissues. They are further of various kinds:
2. Trauma scars: These scars are formed due to the healing of an injured skin after a trauma or an accident. Potential sources of such scars could be chemical or heat burns, friction, scraping, or deep penetration of any sharp object. They can be minimally noticeable or cause severe thickening and tightening of the skin and underlying tissues(called contractures) that can cause skin modifications or/and restrict the normal movement of that body part if present, especially over the body joints. Traumatic scarring is often associated with pain, itching, or any other unusual sensations and can also lead to depression and anxiety because of the disfigurement.
3. Surgery scars: In cosmetic or other surgeries, an incision must be made that leads to scarring after wound healing. If a less-skilled surgeon performs the surgery, the extent of scarring would be more. The aged people with thin and less elastic skin have more risks of scarring. At Charma Clinic, advanced scar revision treatments are provided by the best dermatologist and plastic surgeons in Bangalore using advanced lasers, micro-needling, and grafting treatment. Consult a specialist and qualified dermatologist to know more about these treatments.
4. Keloid scars: These are formed due to an aggressive healing process that extends beyond the original injury or wound. They appear as rounded, irregular, thick, and often red or dark-colored clusters of the scar tissues at the wounded site and can cause limited movements. Such scars can be itchy and painful. Commonly, dark-skinned people develop this type of scarring, which may last up to a year after the trauma to the skin. Mostly, it appears on the body sites like ears, face, chest, neck, or shoulders. To know more about keloid scar treatment, consult the skin experts at Bangalore at Charma Clinic.
5. Self inflicted wounds: Patients suffering from depression or personality disorders may have self inflicted scars called hesitation cuts. These are usually found on the forearm. They are usually treated by non surgical means like lasers.
Scars often shrink and become less visible over time. The right time to carry out scar revision is still unclear. There are multiple factors that a plastic surgeon or dermatologist has to take into account. The age, location of scar, size of the scar, shape and orientation of the scar, depth of the scar (including muscle damage), general health of the patient, habits like smoking/tobacco use etc. A person can wait for the scar to lighten after the wound heals for a few months or a year to carry out the surgery. But some scars would require revision within 60-90 days after the scar matures. Evaluation of scars by the experts is important before deciding the treatment plan.
The treatment options chosen by the doctor vary based on the type of the scar and the extent of scarring. But remember, none of the treatments can completely get rid of the scar but can help make the appearance better. Multiple treatment sessions are generally needed to improve the appearance of scarred skin. Depending upon the amount of scarring, scar revision can be performed while the person is in general anesthesia, sedated, or while the patient is awake, but the treatment site is numbed (i.e., local anesthesia).
Some of the popular options for treating scars include
1. Microneedling: Whether the person has a post-surgical scar, acne scar, or a traumatic scar, skin professionals in Bangalore at Charma Clinic can dramatically minimize the appearance of scars with the micro-needling technique. It is a quick, safe, and efficient method that can provide impressive results in a very short period. In the micro-needling technique, a micro pen with tiny adjustable needles penetrating the skin at a specific depth is inserted into the scarred skin area. It results in micro-channels that stimulate natural growth factors at the micro-wounded site and boost collagen production. The new collagen fibers result in the skin restructuring, making the skin smooth and soft and the scars with less defined edges. It is effective universally for all skin tones and offers the best outcomes. To know more about micro-needling treatment for scars in Bangalore, please feel free to contact.
2. Fillers: Dermal fillers can address many indented scars like acne scars, injury scars, surgical scars (including scars after skin biopsy), burn scars, and chickenpox scars. It is a cosmetic treatment wherein gel-like substances are injected into the skin to enhance its volume. The most commonly used filler is hyaluronic acid, which is naturally found in the skin and hydrating. Over the long term, these fillers can permanently improve the appearance of the scars by breaking the scar tissues and repair the affected skin by stimulating collagen growth. The best thing to consider is the immediately noticeable results achieved after the dermal fillers treatment in Bangalore.
Moreover, it is associated with less discomfort and minimal downtime. Dermal filler treatment can lessen the appearance of scars, with results lasting for a few months to as long as a year and require less aggressive or fewer sessions. The injectable fillers can be customized according to the skin condition of the person being treated and the type of scar.
3. Lasers: A laser can act as magic for the scars to make them less noticeable on the skin surface. With advancements made in this field, the laser has been medically proven to be a safe go-to treatment performed by most certified dermatologists for many scars. It can help minimize the pain and itching, allow a range of motion if scarring has led to restricted movement, and forbid a raised scar from developing post-surgery. The lasers are targeted to the skin's melanin pigments during the laser treatment, which absorbs its thermal energy and undergoes destruction. It stimulates the healthy, new skin cells growth and the removal of old, damaged skin layers. It also results in collagen remodeling of the skin, which enhances the skin texture and tone.
The types of laser that doctor uses in scar treatment at Charma Clinic, best skin treatment clinic in India includes pulse dye laser, intense pulsed light, Q-switched Nd: YAG, ablative fractional carbon dioxide laser, non-ablative fractional laser, and long-pulsed Nd: YAG.
4. Growth factor therapy: Growth factor-rich therapy works best when there is a requirement to speed up the healing of wounded tissues and promote healthy cell growth and regeneration. This treatment helps in the reduction and elimination of all types of scarred tissues.
In growth factor-rich therapy, the blood drawn from the patient's arm is centrifuged to separate the blood components. The growth factor and skin repair proteins-rich layer is taken out in a syringe and then administered directly into the scarred tissue.
Growth factor-rich therapy combines colorless plasma and a high concentration of natural growth factors and repairs proteins isolated from the blood by centrifugation. The different growth factors commonly found in the blood are highly beneficial for scars. It helps improve the skin texture by stimulating the fibroblasts (cells of the skin connective tissues) and keratinocytes (skin epidermal cells), which increases the production of new collagen and elastin fibers that result in the formation of a new, healthy skin layer. With a greater quantity of collagen at the injection site of growth factors, the skin rejuvenates, leading to less visible scarring. It can also create new blood vessels (angiogenesis) and regenerate damaged skin tissues. Some micro-needling and growth factor treatments are combined to deliver better outcomes.
5. Skin graft and skin flaps: When all other non-surgical procedures are not effectively working for the scars or the degree of scarring is more, surgical skin repair is the best option. A surgery can excise or remove the extra scarred tissues. In skin grafting, a thin layer of healthy skin is harvested from any area of the body and placed over the injured or wounded site. Some cases may require a skin flap surgery wherein a thick layer of skin and its fat, connecting nerves, blood vessels, and underlying muscles from a healthy body part are taken and attached to the damaged skin site. In skin flap surgery, the graft has its blood supply. These two techniques are carried out only when a large portion of the skin has been lost from an original injury and when a thin scar is not healing. The main concern for surgery is to improve the function of that scarred or injured body part rather than improving its appearance. Consult with the best skin experts and plastic surgeons at Charma Clinic, Bangalore, to know more about skin graft surgery costs.
6. Z-plasty is a popular scar revision technique performed at Charma Clinic, the best scar revision clinic in Bangalore. It can revise the most severe forms of scars. In this procedure, the surgeon makes multiple incisions on either side of the scar site, creating V-shaped (angled) skin flaps. These flaps can reorient the skin and change the scar's direction and position, interrupting the scar tension and making it less visible. This technique is not a good option for people suffering from poorly controlled diabetes, prior skin irradiation, peripheral vascular disease, and are frequent smokers.
To know about scar revision cost in Bangalore, meet the experts at Charma Clinic.
Chirag Hospital, 3rd floor, #1635, 17th main, J P Nagar 2nd phase,
Bengaluru - 560078
Monday to Saturday : 9.30AM to 7.30PM
Sunday : Closed!
Disclaimer: This website (www.charmaclinic.com) aims to spread awareness about skin, hair, nail problems and their relevant treatments. The information shared here is generic in nature and can not replace the advice/ prescription of a qualified medical professional. Every individual may have different skin, hair, nail concerns and must be treated accordingly. Hence, medications or treatments mentioned on the website shall not be consumed/ utilized unless prescribed by a certified medical professional.